Aloo Saag (Potatoes in Spiced Spinach Sauce)
1 lb. fresh spinach leaves, washed well (or frozen if you must)
2 cups 1/3"-dice potato (about 6 new potatoes)
4 fat cloves garlic
1/2 medium yellow onion
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt, plus more as needed
1 tsp garam masala
3 Tbsp milk, plus more as needed
crushed red pepper to taste
serves 2 as main dish, 4-6 as a side
time 20-30 minutes
- Wash the spinach leaves well and drain. Toss them in a pot along with a 1/2 cup of water. Heat on high for a few minutes, stirring, until the water starts to steam and the bottom leaves begin to wilt. Give it a good stir, cover, lower heat, and cook for about 7 minutes, until just tender. Drain (don't worry about getting out all the water.) Puree until smooth in a blender or food processor.
- Meanwhile, toss the diced potatoes in a pot with water to cover, and bring to a boil. Add a ½ tsp. of salt. Cook the potatoes for about 10-15 minutes, until tender. Drain.
- Cut off the root ends of the garlic cloves and lay cloves flat. Lightly pound with the side of your knife blade and peel off the papery skin. Finely mince up the garlic. Peel and finely mince the onion as well.
- Heat up a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a good-sized sauté pan. Cook the garlic and onion over medium heat until soft and yummy-smelling. Stir in the turmeric and cook a minute or two more.
- Toss in the spinach puree and potatoes and stir well. Add the milk, salt, garam masala and a sprinkling of crushed red pepper to taste. Bring to a low bubble, and cook a few minutes more to let the flavors meld. If the mixture looks too dry, add a little more milk. Enjoy!
Original Recipe: http://www.digsmagazine.com/recipes/nourish_aloosaag.htm