Pumpkin Pork Chili
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced (we like lots of garlic)
1 lb ground pork
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili (or more to taste)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp maple syrup
2 tsp lime juice
2 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 big 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 can of black beans (or pink beans)
2 cups corn kernels (used frozen but we could've used a can of corn if we had any)
- Saute and onion in vegetable oil over medium high heat until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute until fragrant. Set the onion and garlic aside.
- Brown the ground pork in pan, breaking it up into small clumps with your spatula, and drain off fat after browned.
- Add ground cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, sugar, maple syrup, and lime juice and stir.
- Add everything else to the pan (pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, beans, corn kernels) and stir.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. We had added more maple syrup and lime juice to get to the quantities listed above.
- You could simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, but it's pretty much ready to eat once everything is heated through.