Meat from 2 lobsters (~8oz), chopped roughly
1/2 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups 2% milk
5 Tbsp butter, melted over medium low heat
5 Tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
some ground black pepper
~ half pound of elbow macaroni
grated hard Italian cheese (such as parmesan or pecorino romano)
Saltine crackers ~8 of them, crumbled
- Set pot of water on to boil for the pasta and cook up the pasta until done. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Melt butter over medium low heat in a large pot (we used the enameled-cast-iron pot). Mix flour into butter to make a roux. Pour in milk a half cup at a time and mix the roux into the milk to make it smooth.
- In a separate pan, we sauteed garlic in oil to brown the garlic and then added it to the sauce. (That had been in a separate pan because we decided to add the garlic later, after we had started melting cheese into the sauce already)
- Keeping heat on low, drop shredded cheese into the roux+milk and stir to melt the cheese into the sauce.
- After all cheese is melted, add the garlic and stir in the lobster chunks and sprinkle in some black pepper. Stir in the cooked pasta.
- Crumble saltines over top and sprinkle on grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese over top.
- Place pot in preheated oven for ~10minutes to brown. Never did really brown but looked close enough. Next time might try turning up the heat to try to get it to brown. (maybe under broiler?)
- Took it out and it was yummy.