Chicken Chow Foon (more Chinese Noodles)
about 7 oz of wide rice noodles (1/2 of a 375g package)
2 Tbsp of Chinese Garlic Marinade (see ingredients at bottom of page) (or black bean sauce)
1 tsp of XO sauce (or maybe use oyster sauce) (see ingredients at bottom of page)
1 or 2 cups of shredded napa cabbage
2 large handfuls of shredded already-roasted chicken (used leftovers)
1 cup chicken stock or broth
1 Tbsp corn starch
some canola oil
- Soak noodles in hot water for 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Make a corn starch slurry by mixing 1 Tbsp of corn starch with 1 ounce of water (a shot glass's worth of water). Mix it up and it'll be a cloudy white suspension. Set aside. You'll use this later to thicken the sauce.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of canola oil and then fry the noodles until they're hot. Easiest to use a non-stick pan since even with the oil, I've had problems keeping these noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once hot, set noodles aside.
- Pour about 1 cup chicken broth into the pan. Mix in about 2 Tbsp of the Chinese marinade (or black bean sauce if you have that) and 1 teaspoon of the XO stuff. Bring to a boil.
- Toss in the shredded cabbage
- Toss in the shredded chicken.
- When heated through, stir up the corn starch slurry once more just before adding it to the pan.
- The sauce will then thicken as the corn starch mixture heats up.
- Once the sauce thickens, add back the noodles and mix everything up.
- Serve right away.
I'm listing the ingredients of the sauces so you can substitute any similar kinds of sauces if you like.
All Purpose Chinese Marinade - Garlic Flavored (Mee Tu brand) - Ingredients were: water, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, white vinegar, modified corn starch, apricots (contains sulfites), peaches, salt, caramel color, garlic puree, garlic powder, hydrolyzed corn and soy protein, onion powder, citric acid, mustard flour, sodium benzoate, (preservative), spices, hickory smoke flavor, red #40
Lee Kum Kim XO Sauce - Ingredients: Soybean oil, Conpoy (dried scallop), ham, red chili pepper, dried shrimp, shallot, garlic, sugar, oyster extractives, salt, spices, flavor enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate / E621)
thread at food_porn